"Sorry, there was a problem and we can't open this document. If this happens again, try opening the document in Microsoft Word." or "We couldn't find the file you wanted.It's possible the file was renamed, moved or deleted." Office WebApp Error

Problem: 
When opening a docx file using WCA (Office Web Apps) I get the following error mes: "Sorry, there was a problem and we can't open this document. If this happens again, try opening the document in Microsoft Word."
I then tried to open an excel document and got the error: "We couldn't find the file you wanted.
It's possible the file was renamed, moved or deleted."


Initial Hypothesis:

Checked the ULS logs on the only OWA server and found this unexpected error:

 HttpRequestAsync, (WOPICheckFile,WACSERVER) no response [WebExceptionStatus:ConnectFailure, url:http://webuat.demo.dev/_vti_bin/wopi.ashx/...

This appears to be a networking related issue, I have a NLB (KEMP) and I am using a wildcard certificate on the WCA adr with SSL termination.

Resolution:
The error message tells me that it can't get back to the SharePoint WFE servers from the OWA server.  The request from the WCA/OWA1 server back to the SP front end server is not done using https but http.  I have an issue as my nlb can't deal with traffic on port 80.

I add a host entry on my OWA1 server so that traffic to the SharePoint WFE goes directly to a server by IP and it works.  This means i don't have high availaibilty.  A NLB service dealing with the web application on port 80 will fix my issue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"There's a configuration problem preventing us from getting your document. If possible, try opening this document in Microsoft Word." Office WebApp Error

"Sorry, Word Web App can't open this ... document because the service is busy." Office WebApp

Unable to create a "Send to Connection"- verification failed -url is a not a valid routing destination